Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Where do I stand with Renault

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 28th February 2008
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,199 Times in 4,711 Posts
Hi Gareth - maybe you asked the wrong question. As I am sure you are aware the company concerned have some responsibility regarding their customers regarding the Data Protection Act. If I walked into your office would you let me see the financial details of your customers by looking over your shoulder. You have to remember the details held in the computer may relate to the previous owner or whoever paid the bills - it may also include personal bank details. Also consider the name in the log book as you call it is the name of the last registerd keeper who may not necessarily even clapped eyes on the car - this occurs in many cases in small companies, etc.
Maybe you could have asked could they provide a service record for the vehicle which is entirely different than looking at a computer screen.
I agree it would be nice to see the service history for the car but the garage is under no legal or moral obligation to provide it - and if they did so they are entitled to charge you. Also remember any previous work carried out by them was subject to the laws of contract - now that becomes an entirely different matter. Any chance of you letting members of the forum see your mortage and bank statements -

P.S. - It is posible the previous owner or keeper had the vehicle under a motobility scheme and would like their health details kept confidential.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l

Last edited by madnoel10; 28th February 2008 at 06:16 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome