Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Where do I stand with Renault

View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 28th February 2008 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Send a message via MSN to cardiff_gareth
Originally Posted by madnoel10 View Post
Hi Gareth - maybe you asked the wrong question. As I am sure you are aware the company concerned have some responsibility regarding their customers regarding the Data Protection Act. If I walked into your office would you let me see the financial details of your customers by looking over your shoulder. You have to remember the details held in the computer may relate to the previous owner or whoever paid the bills - it may also include personal bank details. Also consider the name in the log book as you call it is the name of the last registerd keeper who may not necessarily even clapped eyes on the car - this occurs in many cases in small companies, etc.
Maybe you could have asked could they provide a service record for the vehicle which is entirely different than looking at a computer screen.
I agree it would be nice to see the service history for the car but the garage is under no legal or moral obligation to provide it - and if they did so they are entitled to charge you. Also remember any previous work carried out by them was subject to the laws of contract - now that becomes an entirely different matter. Any chance of you letting members of the forum see your mortage and bank statements -
I understand the responsibilites that the company has to conform to, hell, its drummed into me every year with a FSA regulated training event that also has 6 month mini refreshers so I'm fully up on the score about it but the guy behind the counter was in the service screens not the previous account holders personal details or payments screens so what he was shielding from me was what work had been carried out on the car, not any personal or confidential material. There is no way i would have asked for a print out of bank details, mobility requirements the previous owner may of had, I quote my sentance to him
Is it possible to have a print out of the service history of the car please
I know he was in the service screens as I managed to clap eyes on the replacement EGR valve it had last year and he also said to me about the EGR valve before backtracking and turning the screen away from me.

I thought, that the service history would go from owner to owner and seeing that I am the new owner then i should be entitled to have it, the worry i have is say my turbo goes into orbit then i go to Renault and try and kick off, if they ask me 'when were all the services carried out' then I'm gonna say 'don't know'
What your saying above means that they can say to me 'we cannot help you as the service history we have for the car is for the previous owner not you so therefore we cannot tell you anything about it so your stuffed'

I'd love to give all my bank details but Mr Clarkson tried that........

Maybe I'll try and call them tomorrow, whats the best form of attack do you think in my wording as to ask 'politely' for the service history ?
Currently in cardiff_gareth's garage:
2003 Renault Scenic Mk 1 phase II 1.6 Expression
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome