Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Polished headlamps!

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 28th February 2008 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Thumbs up Polished headlamps!

Decided to give the (lexan) headlamps a polish today. They have been looking very dim bordering on milky since I bought the car not long ago. There is just something about dim and dirty headlamps that makes any car look tired and old.

I have read many posts - also in this great forum - about sanding them down with wet paper and that's also the method I used.

First I masked the lamp surroundings with masking tape. Then I rubbed the lexan shields with grain 400 wet paper and continued until the lamp surface was an even matte. I paused from time and dried them up with a cloth to check if all the imperfections were gone.

I continued with grain 500 and did the last sanding with grain 1000. This is still a little too coarse to give a glass clear surface and unfortunately I didn't have any grain 2000.

So I decided to finish the job using a small multi tool (Dremmel). First I coated the lamps with a thin layer of Autosol (cutting compound) and then I attacked them gently with a polishing pad on the Dremmel. I made an effort not to melt the lexan so I kept moving the pad around. It only takes a couple of minutes to polish a lamp this way. I repeated the polishing a total of three times on each lamp. I'm happy to report that this was very, very effective! In no time the lamps shields became clear and shiny.
Currently in grandtour's garage:
Laguna Grandtour 1.8 16V Concorde '99
  5 Lastest Threads by grandtour
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Laguna 1 mk2. No power- Fault or feature? Electronics renofan 6 1387 30th March 2009 06:58 PM
Help! What type of bolt is this? Engines grandtour 8 1983 24th June 2008 02:13 PM
Draining before pump change Engines mojolicious 4 1407 23rd June 2008 01:00 PM
Cooling fan intervals? Engines grandtour 7 1738 13th June 2008 10:31 AM
Direction of travel for aux belt Engines grandtour 2 872 30th May 2008 12:07 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome