Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Megane 1 faults

Thread: Megane 1 faults
View Single Post
post #19 of (permalink) Old 2nd March 2008
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
I'e had my Megane for 4 1/2 years in which time I have had to seal and dry up the overhead switches from a leak at the ariel. The rear washer housing also leaked and wet the rear seat.

I had to replace one of the plip keys as it would not hold the code for more than a couple of weeks.

Intermittant cold starting problem was cured by replacing the lambda sensor.

The tailgate hinge pins seized and eventually the pair of them snapped (in B&Q carpark) The use of gravity and very slow driving got me home. I drilled out the pins and made a temporary repair with a couple of nails. It is still working after 2 years so I might just leave it as is.

I have had to replace all the front wheel bearings. My mechanic told me that Renault use a softer metal in their OEM bearings.

Both driveshafts have been replaced due to worn CV joints. (CV joints not available seperately)

Both front suspension coil springs snapped and have been replaced.

First bit of welding this year when a hole appeared on the rear of the O/S outer sill.

Just cured a water leak into the O/S footwell by cleaning the sunroof front drains.

All these faults are mostly due to poor design and materials on the part of Renault. In saying that, the car is comfy, practical and economical so I will just put the faults down to "the joys of motoring"
Currently in Bartsonofhomer's garage:
Misbehaving 2002 Scenic 1.4 16v Fidji & the spirit and memories of my 1997 Megane 1.4 RT 8v 72,000 miles that has now been taken away by the automotive grim reaper who issued me with her certificate of destruction.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome