Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - paint stripper/remover help

View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 29th July 2016
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
Re: paint stripper/remover help

With plastic panels (or fairings), I would steer completely clear of paint stripper (such as Nitromors) as it may well react (badly) with the plastic. Paint is after all, plastic-based.

You really have three options, if you want to strip the paint away to expose the clean plastic, this will be dictated whether you want to keep the panels on the bike, or remove them.

If you want to do this with the panels in situ, you can use gun wash thinners, but it will still require plenty of rubbing & wiping with cloths - it's a messy process.

Removing the panels means that a d/a sander (or a palm sander) can be used uniformly across a fairly level surface, with less risk of an edge 'digging-into' the plastic.

The other option is some form of gentle bead-blasting.

Your best option really depends on whether the paintwork is just a poor finish, or if it's flaking and falling/peeling off.

If it's the former, an electrical or compressed air sander is the best method to remove the surface imperfections, allowing a stable layer of paint to be built-up on top. If it's the latter, then you need to remove the shonky, shoddy paint, to establish a solid foundation to build upon.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater

Last edited by VelSatisfied; 29th July 2016 at 08:24 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VelSatisfied For This Useful Post:
batfink5 (29th July 2016), Nottnoc (29th July 2016)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome