Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - How to disconnect dashboard speakers in clio 99*Fixed*

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 4th March 2008
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Do you mean the little tweeters that are in the top of the dashboard? If so, you need to remove the top of the dashboard to get at them. It is not very difficult, but you will need a torx driver. There are a couple of screws on either side - you get at them with the doors open. Then some along below the windscreen about where the demister vents are. You can see these by looking through the windscreen from the outside. Then ease the top of the dashboard backwards towards you. Mine does not have a passanger airbag, but if yours does, probably wise to disconnect the battery first (make sure you know the radio code!) Peer under the top cover as you loosen it to make sure that there are no electrical connections to it - eg to the airbag.
Once it is removed, you can see the top of the little tweeters, and it will be obvious how they are connected - mine have little pop on connecters. They are insulated, so you just need to remove them - you can tape them as well if it makes you feel safer about it.
When you buy your torx set (little star shaped drivers - very common on modern cars now) try to get a set that has the tips seperate from the handle, and with a straight handle. These little screws are not very tight, and if you get a set with a cranked handle, it will be very difficult to use as the windscreen gets in the way!
On the other hand, if in the future you need to say adjust the door latch striker plates, you will need something with more leverage, as these are usually really tough to remove. My torx drivers are part of a comprehensive 1/4 inch drive socket set, which are great, and frankly completely indispensable if you are working on fiddly things inside the car. Probably the best set of tools I have ever bought - and I have bought some in my life! Not very expensive either.
Best of luck
Currently in clio2owner's garage:
1995 Clio !, VW Taro, BMW 840, Rover 213
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome