Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio 2 1.5 DCI - high mileage - worth spending money on?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 9th August 2016 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Thumbs up Clio 2 1.5 DCI - high mileage - worth spending money on?

Hi all,

I recently bought a Clio as my first car. It's a 2001 MkII Clio Dynamique 65 1.5 DCi. Purchased at the end of May. Cost me 575.

I've posted elsewhere about the first issue I found with my Clio - bodged fuel line which I fixed with the help of a couple of good souls on here.

Got a slightly bigger ask if anyone's got the time to read.

I'm in Cornwall so the car's very much a daily driver, things being as far apart as they are down here. I also go back to Herts and Sussex about once a month or so to see family and friends. So this car needs to do a bit.

I took it for it's first service recently. The garage offered to check it out first and see if there's anything else that needs doing on top of the standard service. They found a fair bit..

The car's got 153,000 miles on it, has after market alloys, has been lowered at the front a bit (my 21 year old self took over on seeing this car), and as I say, has at least one bodge under the bonnet, so it's lived a life. The MOT is due in November and going on what the garage said, it'd definitely fail.

I wanted to know if anyone has an opinion on whether I should invest the money on getting the work done and seeing how many miles I can get out of it, or whether I should let it go.

The work in question is as follows,

1. Front tyres need replacing and for some reason, neither has a spigot spacer on them (rears do weirdly), so they need adding as well.

2. a rear seat belt buckle needs fixing/replacing

3. One front and and the rear wiper blades need replacing

4. Induction pipe is missing and needs replacing

5. Brake fluid needs changing

6. One of the front wishbones is corroded and needs replacing

7. The wrong rack boot was put on one of the arms and needs replacing

8. The rear brake shoes need replacing

9. One of the rear wheel cylinders needs replacing as it's leaking

10. The rear chassis is corroded and needs welding

With the service included, I've been quoted about 750 for all the above.

Obviously, a few of those jobs are essential to having a safe car, so they need to be done.

Additionally, the engine management light has come on. The car does take 3 seconds or so to turn over in the morning, so the garage reckoned it might be the glowplugs.

I was also wondering if anyone reckons it's feasible that I might get a year's driving out of the car given the mileage and known issues. If so, I reckon I might pony up as I want to learn how to get around a car mechanically. Figured it's a cheap-ish way to do so. Also, the price for the work - does that seem reasonable?

I'm appealing to anyone who wants to go into Dad-mode on this and provide some knowledged advice.

Cheers for reading!

Last edited by rhymers; 9th August 2016 at 12:05 PM.
  5 Lastest Threads by rhymers
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Clio 2 1.5 DCI - high mileage - worth spending... Cars & motoring Sparkus 18 521 9th August 2016 11:46 AM
Diesel leak from hose on 51 plate Dci. Easy... Engines ours2012 8 208 13th July 2016 11:01 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome