Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio 2 1.5 DCI - high mileage - worth spending money on?

View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 10th August 2016
Really Old Member
Nominated 2 Times in 2 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Clio 2 1.5 DCI - high mileage - worth spending money on?

Sorry.. been out of comms for 24hrs. Velsatisfied and Dancingdad make very good points. That would be my course of action. Not much point investing more cash if the car will still be worth less than your investment at the end of it. Your garage has only listed the problems he can actually see. There may be many other dangers lurking below.

Watch those wheel spacers - they are there either to look good or because a wider wheel is fouling somewhere. Yes, they increase the track but can cause other problems (extra load on wheel bearings for example) as well as being potentially dangerous if not fitted properly. Cheaper ones can also upset balance if not centred accurately on the hub. If you can pick up another car with an MOT and warranty, and choose to keep this one as a project, find a welder to tidy up the corrosion and do the rest yourself. Yes you will learn new ways to swear at spanners and make holes in your hands and arms but when you finally MOT it and sell it on you will feel very pleased with yourself. You might even get your money back, instead of losing too much. Plenty of people on this forum will be able to help you along. The wishbone is the biggest task on the list.

Good luck anyway and let us know what you decide.

It was hard getting over my addiction to the Hokey Cokey, but I've turned myself around and that's what it's all about.
Currently in twodogs's garage:
2011 Grand Scenic III 1.5dci EDC; Royal Enfield 350 Bullet; Boxes of tools and spare parts I will never need again.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome