Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio 2 1.5 DCI - high mileage - worth spending money on?

View Single Post
post #16 of (permalink) Old 10th August 2016
Renoir White
Platinum Member located in the UK
Technical Supremo
Nominated 9 Times in 16 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 32
Thanked 1,445 Times in 1,200 Posts
Re: Clio 2 1.5 DCI - high mileage - worth spending money on?

I've just read through this thread and the only other point I can add is that if you choose to take on the repairs yourself:-

a) are you able to work somewhere safely off-road and on level ground
b) all jobs take much longer to do than you think
c) consider where the nearest spares shop is ... there's often something else you need eg penetrating oil for the corroded nut that won't undo or a new nut/washer/spring etc etc because the old ones just pinged off and rolled away.
d) have you mates willing to help
e) are you happy to not have the car to use for a couple of days because you're still halfway through a job

Many of us (me included) end up buying a lemon as our first car (and sometimes our 8th & 9th cars ). In your shoes I would be inclined to buy another car ... as VS has shown there are better cars available for less than the cost of repairs to your car. Put is down to experience. Also with welding once rust has got hold of the car you'll find more areas which need patching year after year, especially if your car has been on salty sand/sea air etc after the previous 'surfing' owner.
Good Luck on your decision.

Don't take without giving in return
Currently in Renoir White's garage:
Renault Trafic 1.7 Petrol Vauxhall Astra 1.4i & in bits Triumph Bonneville T140E & H-D XLH1200
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome