Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio 2 1.5 DCI - high mileage - worth spending money on?

View Single Post
post #18 of (permalink) Old 14th August 2016
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 27 Times in 25 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Thanked 1,791 Times in 1,370 Posts
Re: Clio 2 1.5 DCI - high mileage - worth spending money on?

Originally Posted by Sparkus View Post
You know the maddest thing ever, as you mention glow plugs....?

My dci was very hard to start for a few days a few months back. Long story short. Bought 4 glow plugs off eBay for 17, fitted them. Bought a leak off kit for 25 on eBay , tested with it & no issues found.

Never a problem starting since. Wierd.
In general terms, old style diesels with indirect, pump timed and the like injection, needed glow plugs to start when cold. Without that concentrated heat, they was bu55ers.
DCIs generally do not need glow plugs to start unless temperature is down around zero. Higher injection pressures, better compression, better atomisation of fuel all contribute to better starting.
They only operate at full wack for a few seconds, then either turn down or off. Main purpose now is emissions control as a cold engine does not burn fuel as efficiently as a hot one.
If an engine is getting old, maybe lost a little compression, they still help starting so is worth swapping for the cost they are. Or at least checking.

My gripe is that many garages still stick to the "not starting, swap glow plugs" from older days.
By the time they have included labour costs it costs the motorist a lot more then 17 quid from ebay and often does not solve the problem.
To me it is same as the mandatory diagnostic charged by dealers. Often unneeded but "must be done"
Currently in Dancingdad's garage:
Qashqai 1.6 spark driven, Kia Sedona 2.9 TDI, Scenic II 15DCi 2004 (SORN) not quite RIP.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dancingdad For This Useful Post:
Sparkus (15th August 2016), VelSatisfied (16th August 2016)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome