Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #845 of (permalink) Old 7th March 2008
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,201 Times in 4,712 Posts
This saga seems to have gone for much too long without any party involved clearly stating either scientific or engineering reasons for the problem. Yeh we've heard all the general terms like "not fit for purpose, etc" but there seems to be a dearth of hard scientific facts.
I appreciate Watchdog have limited time and resources but until a group of respected independent engineers are prepared to give their opinions I cannot see it progressing much further. If the matter was taken into a Court of Law and let the so-called Renault and VOSA engineers put their money where their mouth is - it might be an entirely different story. Furthermore surely the UK cannot be the only country in the world where this particular model of Clio has had similar problems.
Has anyone heard of similar problems in France or elsewhere for instance?
I just hope some poor soul doesn't have to lose their life first

As far as I can determine both Renault and VOSA have already admitted there is a fault (whether it be poor design or poor maintenance or whatever). Why should they notify every customer otherwise. Personally I believe they have shot themselves in the foot. The old adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it springs to mind" - yet they are prepared to either service or replace where necessary and still deny liability.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l

Last edited by madnoel10; 7th March 2008 at 04:03 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome