Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Goodbye to renault

View Single Post
post #17 of (permalink) Old 9th March 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 2 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Send a message via MSN to Azurael
Originally Posted by wobbly spoon View Post
I had a rover 45 diesel and it was the best most reliable car ive ever owned ..did 55 mpg, never, ever went wrong had reasonable acceleration, good equipment levels, handles well ..i really rate them ..was told to beware of the petrol engines but this was a diesel and went and went outgrew the car so she had to go ..but id have no hesitation getting another and parts arent a problem at all.
Precisely the opposite of the 800 then - you didn't want one of those crappy VM diesels, but the petrols were generally OK. My dad had an 825 diesel for about a month and it was shockingly bad. No other vehicle has ever broken down so much in such a short time, and aside from the mechanical unreliability, the real quality of it was such that the dashboard was de-laminating, the computer went haywire and randomly reset the climate control (not a problem as the a/c didn't work anyway), the windows would randomly open and close, and the central locking often decided it was on strike.

All in all, I wouldn't consider a Rover. It seems some of them, especially those that directly resulted from the Rover - Honda partnership like the 400/45 and 800 could be very reliable cars if you didn't get one that suffered from 'Friday afternoon syndrome' - then BMW came in just to nick the valuable brands from the company and unfortunately, the large majority of later cars appear to have been thrown together with absolutely no concern for whether they actually worked - a company that destroyed itself with bland products and a shocking lack of concern for quality control...
Currently in Azurael's garage:
TEB64 (Cosmic Grey) 2001 'Y' Laguna II 1.8 16v Privilege Tourer (KG0B F4P-770)/TED44 (Odyssey Blue) 2001 'Y' Laguna II 1.8 16v 'Expressionale' Hatch (BG0B F4P-770)

Last edited by Azurael; 9th March 2008 at 12:50 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome