Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Goodbye to renault

View Single Post
post #20 of (permalink) Old 9th March 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by Azurael View Post
All in all, I wouldn't consider a Rover. It seems some of them, especially those that directly resulted from the Rover - Honda partnership like the 400/45 and 800 could be very reliable cars if you didn't get one that suffered from 'Friday afternoon syndrome' - then BMW came in just to nick the valuable brands from the company and unfortunately, the large majority of later cars appear to have been thrown together with absolutely no concern for whether they actually worked - a company that destroyed itself with bland products and a shocking lack of concern for quality control...
Yes i agree with you there - I have always thought it was a shame MG/Rover collapsed as they had some promising cars in the pipeline but after BMW ditched them no money to develop them. The BMW Mini is an MG Rover car! In fact when BMW left MG Rover pleaded with them not to take the Mini away, but BMW knew what they were doing! Had MG Rover been able to keep the Mini they would still be around IMO.

True about the Rover/Honda partnership, the old Triumph Acclaim was the first of the partnership followed by the 800, 200/400, then 600. The later 25 was redeveloped from the old 200 platform, the 45 a development of the then contemporary Honda Civic. Of the 90s cars only the MGF, Freelander and 75 are true British Rover/MG cars. Then there's the venerable Metro/100!

Sorry to go on now I've finished boring you all!

More reading available here;

The Vauxhall Cavalier - one of the safest cars you'll bump into
Currently in Bob925's garage:
2015 '65 Vauxhall Astra SRi, and a variety of "lovely" buses
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome