Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Bumping up the bill.......?

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 10th March 2008
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

Originally Posted by Paul_B View Post
Hi, can anyone tell me if this is a standard practice...... we recently put our Megane in for a routine service with our local approved main dealer. They originally quoted 200 for the service and having taken our cars registration number, they would have been aware of its age and service history..... yet part way through the day they rang us at home with an 'Advisory'; did we want the brake fluid replaced at an additional cost of 29.99.
I asked why that wasn't included within the original service quote and was told that quote was only for topping up the brake fluid.
So when we collected the car, we had the original bill of 199.99 + a second invoice for 29.99.
My questions are therefore:
1)Does anyone know if this is a standard practice?
2) The first invoice states: "Carry out P3 service to manufacturer's specification", does anyone know what a 'P3' service is supposed to include (or where I can find out)?
Does your handbook/service record booklet state when the brake fluid requires changing?

Dealers are always looking for ways to bump up the charges.

In reality brake fluid rarely gets contaminated nor does it suffer from condensation/water ingress to such an extent that it warrants replacement.

My local BMW dealer would charge me 61.00 for the pleasure of replacing the brake fluid, so my independent gets the job for 30.

You should not require to replace the fluid in future.

Currently in beemer5's garage:
1999 Espace 2.0 RT-X 7 Seater manual & BMW 323i

Last edited by chris m; 10th March 2008 at 05:54 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome