Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #852 of (permalink) Old 10th March 2008
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,201 Times in 4,712 Posts
A lot of good points there Brigatti.
But it still doesn't answer the question. Why are the catches failing - there has to be an engineering cause.
Answers like poor quality metal - incorrect plating - poor quality springs, etc - spring to mind.
If the secondary catch is sticking or jamming is it down to poor materials, poor design or poor maintenance.
Unless these points are clearly spelt out we will be left in the dark. What I find strange is that the insurance companies have remained quiet throughout this issue - yet they are picking up the bulk of the cost.
Has any one attempted to contact VOSA and ask for their findings under the Freedom of Information Legislation.

I have only seen one Clio which suffered this problem and when I looked at the catches I found their materials to be of lightweight quality and with poor corrosion protection. And I doubt if the secondary catch could withstand the stresses of a bonnet being opened whilst driving at speed even if it were properly maintained. But thats only my amateur view of the matter
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l

Last edited by madnoel10; 10th March 2008 at 06:29 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome