Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - L E D side light

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 10th March 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 2 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Send a message via MSN to Azurael
You need some kind of parallel resistance to the LED for the computer to detect a sufficient load on the circuit. You could do this with a resistor soldered across the LED, or you can buy LED 'bulbs' with integrated resistors - of course, this puts the power consumption of the whole shebang somewhere back in the region of a filament bulb, thus defeating one of the main objectives of an LED. It'll still last a lot longer than a normal bulb, of course...

Oh, and I should point out now that technically, it's illegal to drive a car with an LED bulb in an essential light fitting because they're not 'e' marked - there's no reason why they couldn't be, but I don't think anybody's researched the spread of light from an LED sufficiently to get one replicating the spead of a normal bulb, so they're not legal. I doubt the police would notice or care, and it's certainly not going to irritate other road users if it's only a sidelight bulb, but some MOT stations are really picky about these things.
Currently in Azurael's garage:
TEB64 (Cosmic Grey) 2001 'Y' Laguna II 1.8 16v Privilege Tourer (KG0B F4P-770)/TED44 (Odyssey Blue) 2001 'Y' Laguna II 1.8 16v 'Expressionale' Hatch (BG0B F4P-770)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome