Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #857 of (permalink) Old 11th March 2008
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Unfortunately the only party (organisation) in the UK that has the legal clout for RECALLS - and SAFETY - is VOSA. They are a DoT division, and manage all UK Recalls - they also feed into the Europe RAPEX Recall system too.

Any independent reports are fruitless unless VOSA accepts them as evidence. (This sounds like a police crime doesn't it! - actually, I almost wish it was treated as such!!)

Unfortunately, your first line is VERY accurate. VOSA openly admit they don't have the expertise, knowledge or experience for all aspects of the vehicle - and in this example, they had no experience of bonnet catches. They stated that they have to rely on manufactures and work with them during VOSA's own invesitgation - impartialitiy questionable though. It's like going to a manufacture, can we please assess your own parts and tell me whether you've got an issue!! Hmmmm.......

Regarding the legal route, because there a slim chance that a bonnet may not be closed properly (which is the driver's responisibility) - this is what Renault simply needs to bang on about (oh they are already!) - and this would enable them to through out any case in court! It's a mockery in my opinion!

Not sure about other countries, only thing we can do is check with RAPEX - but I think someone did follow-up with them, but nothing was listed.....Renault Italy, France, Sweden whatever all probably know the same line to take if any incidents are reported....and one is accused of causing the accident, and they don't know the history, one would simply admit and accept this without doing anything further (like report it to the relevant Government Safety body!).

Appreciate your goodwill. We will continue to press for action from all!

Aaron Brigatti
Brigatti Online -

Clio Bonnet-Catch Issues?
- Read the Correspondence Archive (Recently Updated!) @
- and the latest on my experiences @

Currently in brigatti's garage:
2009 Audi A4 1.4 TFSI
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome