Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #859 of (permalink) Old 11th March 2008
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Very important point - if you had an MOT in October 2007 - then the liability lays with that party - you SHOULD NOT pay for the work or resolve via your insurance. You should write to the garage, send a copy to your MP, and Renault HQ and state to them that as you understand the dealership is required to monitor the state of the catch mechanism, it should not be released with a clean bill of health after an MOT.

Can you please confirm whether it was a Renault dealership or not?

Can I suggest a few next step actions:

1. Raise an Independent Report request on your car (your insurance company can advise you whom to contact to obtain privately). This should prove the state of the mechanism following the incident. Not sure if this is the same report as the AA Report you referred too?

2. As above, notify Renault UK, VOSA and your dealership advising that they repair the car free of charge, as the liability is with them.

Your AA report is your key tool!

It's amazing that ever at speeds of 40mph, the damage is similar to the speeds of 70mph - I guess the physical force of a bonnet releasing in motion is the same regardless of speed (which really doesn't bode well for Renault!)!

Good luck and keep us posted (privately if you prefer?)

This might also be useful for you to review too:

Originally Posted by skigirl View Post
Hiya I've been busy reading ALL the posts in here over the past day or so, I too have been a victim of the Clio bonnet flipping up. It happened on Saturday whilst in the fast lane of the A4, luckily I was only doing 40 as theres speed cameras every few metres, gotta love London but those speed cameras probably stopped me having a nasrt accident. I had not had the bonnet open since about Christmas (I know I should check it more...) as I dont really use the car that much however since this time I have done two or three which have involved motorways at speed so I would say it was highly unlikely the bonnet had been open and bouncing around all this time. I'm also not bloody stupid and would notice if it was open and I know how to shut a bonnet! Anyway I managed to get the car off the road, luckily had no injuries, didnt hit anyone and the windscreen was ok. The force the bonnet hit the car though was really hard, as if it had been on a spring and it had just been let go. When the AA came the patrolman said that there was a fault with the bonnet clip and he'd heard this was a recurrent problem but he hadnt seen one before. I was completely unaware of this, I havent recieved any letter saying to get it fixed and I had it serviced and MOT'd in October so its not like it was in bad nick.
I contacted Watchdog who called me back last night and wanted to use me on the programme but annoyingly they called my work number and I'd left for the day.
I also contacted What Car magazine as I saw they'd done a story on it a few years back and asked them if they had any information they could give me, they got back to me and asked for pictures of the car and more details, I sent them the AA report saying that the bonnet clip was faulty and photos and the editor contacted Renault on my behalf and they're going to investigate it. I dont know if I'll get further having What Car on my side but I will also contact VOSA as I think their investigation was shocking.
I have the slight problem of only having 3rd party insurance, kicking myself for it now! However the car is OK, ish,(Not the point though!!!!!) the AA guy used a plank of wood to get the bonnet back into some form of shape and has secured the bonnet with a cable. The roof is also dented and the inside light was sent flying off. My nerves were frazzled to hell, I'm just grateful it happened when it did as I was on my way to the A1 where I'd have been going alot faster.
I want Renault to fix the car, I know the chances are slim but how can they say they've sent letters to everyone when they clearly havent? Obviously if I'm sent a letter saying theres a possible fault which could result in me crashing then I'm going to get it looked at! I want it fixed so I can get rid of the thing cos even if they say its fixed I'll be too nervous to drive at speed cos I thank god I was going slowly so the windscreen didnt smash. I was in such heavy saturday afternoon traffic I have no idea how I got the car off the road and do not intend to have to go through that again!
I'm joking that I'm gonna buy a volvo! Semi-joking... I dont know how I missed all this in the media. I just presumed (wrongly) that with such a popular make of car it would be safe and I didnt have to check online for stories about it!
BTW its a 98 R reg Diesel version, one of the first Mark IIs I believe. Loads of my friends have clios, I've told them all to go get them fixed.
Sorry about the long post!!

Aaron Brigatti
Brigatti Online -

Clio Bonnet-Catch Issues?
- Read the Correspondence Archive (Recently Updated!) @
- and the latest on my experiences @

Currently in brigatti's garage:
2009 Audi A4 1.4 TFSI
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome