So to summarise. (taken from all recent EPB threads) Thanks to Niall, Wasntme & Greavey for getting cold & mucky in their research.
1) The EPB is not coded to the car, but different "ecu's" were used, just search in your diagnostic programme for all types.
2) Failures are:- Jamming, Blue Relay failure, motor failure. Also check the connector under the passenger seat for integrity.
3) Motors are very similar to those found in cheapo battery drills, only difficulty is the gear on the shaft.
4) Re DDT2000 :- Will work on XP up to Windows10 (I'm playing with the Beta ATM). Need a VAG KKL 409.1 (MUST use FT232 chip, some don't) adaptor. Must be I.E 9 or less OR Firefox (34.0.5 ATM) with the IE tab plug in installed (Which is how I made it work on Win10 beta) Win 7 & upwards naturally has IE 11, which for this job is NBG.
5) To turn the car on for diagnostics :-
Card in, feet off pedals, press start for 10 secs, till display lights up like an Xmas tree. Press Start TWICE to exit. As everything is running, messing about for too long WILL kill the battery, DAMHIK
had to reset all the windows on one occasion.
6) TWO common causes of EPB nags are:- Failure to allow the car to "sleep" before disconnecting battery & EPB operation whilst cables are disconnected, calipers are off or Pads are out.
Mods, any way these can be in a sticky please?
Reset electronic handbrake,LOOK HERE
Scenic electronic handbrake failed after pad change