View Single Post
post #25 of (permalink) Old 7th September 2016
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,200 Times in 4,712 Posts
Re: Mot failiure

Originally Posted by MEW1202 View Post
1. Parking Brake Lever, pawl mechanism pivots or their associated mountings are insecure.
  • Basically the handbrake wobbles. And although this was happening before...its now a lot worse since the garage looked at it. Is there anything I can do about it at home. EG. Tighten a bolt?? The handbrake is in plasic box type thing.
2. Rear Brake binding nearside rear
3. Brake load sensing valve seized
4. Front brake application uneven

A handbrake lever can wobble but still apply sufficient braking effort to the rear brakes. I have seen handbrake levers suddenly become lose due to either its retaining bolts working more lose as time progresses. And also the floor pan crack allowing the lever to become unstable. Both these situations can arise within quite a very short time.

A rear binding brake could be due to a delaminating brake shoe (a common problem in Renaults). Again a common fault which can occur suddenly.

The only sure way of testing a brake load sensing valve is on a proper break testing machine.

Unequal brake application again is not always noticable and can only be fully tested on a suitable test rig.

I ain't siding with the garage in this case only pointing out some possibilities.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l

Last edited by madnoel10; 8th September 2016 at 11:47 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to madnoel10 For This Useful Post:
Doctle Odd (7th September 2016)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome