Thread: Small Cars
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12th March 2008 Thread Starter
Emily's dad
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Small Cars

I'm looking soon to get a small run around mainly for my use to back and forth to work.
With high fuel costs and traffic congestion as it is a supermini of some description would suit as I will generally be using it without passengers

But I have 2 kids under the age of 4 and there will be occasions when they will be in the car. Now most newish cars superminis or not have reasonable NCAP safety ratings giving good protection in frontal and side impacts.

Obviously the trend for these run arounds is to make them small, therefore lighter, more economical easy to park etc but with smaller boots the rear seats are closer to back of the car and rear seat passengers are more vunerable in a rear end shunt.

I've never seen NCAP testing vehicles to see how they perform in this way and am not keen to have my kids sitting inches away from the point of impact.
This can also be the situation in larger seven seater cars with the third row of seats essentailly in the boot and therefore in the crumple zone.

Anyway I've pretty much convinced myself that I won't be getting a tiny car and something Megane/Astra/Focus sized will be the smallest car I'm prepared to put my kids in. THe trouble with that is they are larger, heavier more expensive but I can't put a price on my family's safety.

Am I alone in this thinking, small cars perhaps too small to be safe family motors?

Currently in Emily's dad's garage:
1999 Scenic RXE, now gone as has the Alhambra that replaced it !
  5 Lastest Threads by Emily's dad
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
CVT Gearbox, your experiences/reliability Transmissions Emily's dad 4 836 10th February 2015 07:49 PM
Williams Clio is back! Renault news snoopy25 8 7353 15th July 2011 05:49 PM
Bin Laden killed General Chat costeau 13 2703 2nd May 2011 07:07 AM
Driving in America....any advice please General Chat 15 3551 17th March 2011 09:44 AM
New Scenic ??? Renault news tonyandkaty 12 9498 1st March 2011 12:09 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome