Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Small Cars

Thread: Small Cars
View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12th March 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by Azurael View Post
Perhaps not everybody can afford something safer than a 1993 Fiesta. I drove 15k miles over a year and a half in an 'H'-reg 205. Remember, it's not just the upfront cost of the car, but the insurance too!
True, but then many crashes have fatal results because there were too many people in the car - IE distractions, lorry hit the side killing that person etc.

Originally Posted by Azurael View Post
Are you saying also that these perfectly servicable vehicles should be consigned to the scrapheap just because they aren't going to be as safe in a crash that probably won't even happen? Not very ecological, is it.
No, I don't think anyone is saying that but what is being said is that cramming as many people as possible into a smaller car won't be as safe as it would a larger car Ecological or not. The fact is you can't just take whether or not a car is ecological into account. There isn't any 1 single factor that decides if a car is good, bad, worth keeping or fit for scrap. There are many influencing factors. Just the same as it is in this discussion - We are both right in various ways but also both wrong. Like I said, there are MANY different factors to think about.

Also saying the crash probably won't happen is rather silly. EVERY motorist I know has had a crash of some form. It is the high severity of the crash which might be unlikely - especially if you only do town driving at 30MPH. Again though, this is dependant on every drivers style and route. Long distance commuters are going to probably be at more risk of a serious accident than you will probably acknowledge. Thats down to speed - a HGV hitting you at 70MPH while your on the hard shoulder is not going to leave many living witnesses. On the other hand, ramming into someones side in a 30 zone might leave some in hospital, but their chances of survival is probably much higher.

Az, at some point, everyone has a accident. As I said, it is the severity which is questionable. I had one last year. Car made an awful crunch but it only left a small dent. If it had happened at 70 (it actually happened at about 15) then I doubt I would be writing this now.
Currently in delta1066's garage:
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome