Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Small Cars

Thread: Small Cars
View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 12th March 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 2 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Send a message via MSN to Azurael
Plus, I'd much rather have a small car if I didn't need a big one for hobbies (we're re-enactors, y'see and all the kit doesn't fit very well in a small car!)

Anyway, a small car is typically more ecological, easier to drive and park, and I appreciate we're talking about the second-hand market here, but modern small cars are just as capable of scoring 5 stars in NCAP tests as big ones. The passenger cells don't vary hugely in space in modern cars from small to large family, the people in the back can be just as comfortable in something like a Citron C3 than a C5, so why does the family need a bigger car?

Also, at what point is a 'big car' more suitable for a small one? I know a lot of people justify 4x4s on this basis, but the reality is there's a lot more to it than that. 4x4s are actually very unsafe because they're much more likely to roll over... I don't know about big people carriers, but I should imagine their centre of gravity is still much higher than a normal car, though at least they aren't as far off the ground as a 4x4... Crash tests certainly aren't everything; consider a situation where a vehicle scores less in a crash test but has better brakes and thus wouldn't have had the crash in the first place, which is 'safer'?

I'm not disagreeing with you guys at all here, I'm just saying that safety is not the only basis on which you should choose a car, and also that even in a very 'safe' car, there's a substantial chance the occupants won't survive a serious accident.

All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. - Voltaire
Currently in Azurael's garage:
TEB64 (Cosmic Grey) 2001 'Y' Laguna II 1.8 16v Privilege Tourer (KG0B F4P-770)/TED44 (Odyssey Blue) 2001 'Y' Laguna II 1.8 16v 'Expressionale' Hatch (BG0B F4P-770)

Last edited by Azurael; 12th March 2008 at 01:27 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome