Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault scenic parking brake fault - codes: C1162, 5162

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 20th September 2016
Honorary Yorkshireman just in Derbyshire
Nominated 19 Times in 15 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 5
Thanked 1,692 Times in 1,295 Posts
Re: Renault scenic parking brake fault - codes: C1162, 5162

Originally Posted by Andy Staley View Post
Hi Guys,
Well as you can guess I have a problem with my EPB system, Everything was fine before I took it for its MOT to my local "well known car" centre where they failed it for parking brake: efficiency below requirements, rear parking brake recording little or no effort offside, and rear brake excessively fluctuating nearside.

They said that they can have a look for free to see what it needed doing and to come back in a few hours, so I left it with them which if I knew what was to come I would had never gone to them! Anyway went back a few hours later the car was still up on the ramp with both back wheels off spoken to the guy that was doing the car and had a look myself and he had taken the offside caliper off and release the handbrake cable from the caliper and said the caliper had seize which I know is a common problem on these cars.

They was going to charge me 583 for 2 x brake disc's a brake pad set and a new caliper for the offside and a brake cable kit plus labour ... I still have the invoice they printed off still makes me laugh now... which I said not a chance in hell and asked them to put it back together and I take it back home which they did but they didn't put the handbrake cable back on so as soon as it was started the cable went into the box and sounded like it wasn't going to stop.

Went back in to ask what the hell they done to my car which they turn round and said they put it back on and was fine and must had come off so nothing they could do not there problem, So took it home and as I parked it I release the handbrake so it wouldn't go on as soon as I turn the car off so it wouldn't make that noise from the EPB back box and it went downhill from there.

I replace the back disc's and pads, replace the seals in the caliper did everything you should to replace them back on the car the right way, found where the release cable for the handbrake was as mine is not in the boot it's on the unit itself on the outside of the car, made sure the handbrake cable was free to move both sides of the car which it was replace both back onto the calipers try to do a reset with the door open press start for 5 sec's pull handbrake out press middle button in which didn't do anything could hear motor trying for about 5 sec's but nothing.

Open EPB box to check motor and cables, took motor off the PCB board and hooked up a bench supply feed 13.5 volts to motor and motor was fine went back and forward fine reset feed for cable try locking back brakes which locked and release so back wheel could move put EPB box back on car I also check the OMRON G8ND-2 relay it looked fine but still wouldn't work after everything went back on the car.

So I got myself a ELM327 Bluetooth OBD 2 CAN V1.4 Scan Tool have a program which reads Renault scenic codes and they was a few codes I try to reset them but it wouldn't reset this code c1162/5162 - internal brake motor fault, I checked the 25 amp fuse under the passenger seat that is fine the wiring is also fine I was thinking could it be the parking handbrake switch? all am I going to need a can clip to reset the EPB unit sorry its long but thought I add everything I done, also the handbrake light says on but when i push it it starts to flash on and off also i get the dash saying ... Parking brake on.... locked parking brake... Parking brake fault.

Car is a late 2008 scenic 1.6L DYN VVT
EPB Faults are very Common.
Everthing has been covered before.
Do a forum search for EPB, choose the threads with lots of answers. I know I contributed to most, being a fellow Mk2 owner (our third).
That blue relay is the most common failure.
I never use that company either (the editted one).

Regards Tim,
You are only young once, but you can be immature forever
Give a n00b the answer he will be learn for a day; show him the search button, he will learn for life.
Currently in Nottnoc's garage:
2008 Scenic Mk2 Dynamique 1.6 K4M 782. 1998 BMW K1100LTSE, 1994 MotoGuzzi Caifornia 3 LAPD, 1972 Norton Commando, 2010 Trafic SL29 M9R782 115, Lots of tools, Camping Gear & Booze
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome