Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - The Vel Satis Club, for all things Vel....

View Single Post
post #173 of (permalink) Old 15th March 2008
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Worn pads but no warning!

The Vel Satis has a large array of sophisticated warning lights etc but I've just found out that there is no warning when your brake pads are low/warn. My old Citroen used to give you plenty of warning and you could drive for several miles before they were in urgent need of replacement.
Last week after Mondays storms I heard a slight noise from the rear when braking. As it was only 1,800 miles since my last service, where the front pads were replaced, I thought I might have picked-up a stone. Only to find the following day, when I was out on an mission of mercy, that the noise got progressively worse the further I got from home.
Upon close examination it was pretty much metal to metal contact! How pads which were only reckoned to be 50% worn 1,800 miles earlier wear out so quickly, puzzles me. But, also how useful would a warning light/message have been?
Net result 2 new discs (they were not reckoned to be that bad at time of service) and pads and one very difficult to rewind piston as it had come out so far. Thankfully my local Renault dealer managed to fit me in straight away and get me back on the road.
Currently in tonycanderson's garage:
2003 Renault Vel Satis V6 3.0dci, 2006 Peugeot 1007 Sport & 2006 Citroen C2 1.4HDi
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome