Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio 1.2 Billabong 16v Sidelight & Brakelight Gone

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 22nd March 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
If they're fused separately (which they appear to be) then the stereo would only blow the fuse for one side light circuit and give exactly the symptoms that you are experiencing. Right now, I'm seeing the stereo as the most likely culprit. It's very easy to trap the wires when sliding the unit back in, and ever so tempting to just force it to click into place when it refuses to slide straight in (been there, done that and I'm not proud.) It's quite possible that the 'instrument dimming' wire was trapped when inserting the new unit into the dash, and that the side light circuit is occasionally shorting to ground due to vibration or the car going over a bump. It's also possible that the insulation on the wiring has been trapped and slowly 'chewed through' (also due to vibration) over a period of days, weeks, or even months, and that you now have a permanent short. If that's the case, then a replacement fuse will blow instantly too.

Make sure you have some spare fuses of the correct rating before you start tinkering about, otherwise you could end up with no working lights at all. Try the right hand fuse in the left hand fuse position and see if it works - if it doesn't, then replace it with a known working one. If it blows again immediately, then you'll need to look at taking the stereo out to at least diagnose the situation. If it stops blowing fuses with the stereo removed, then you'll need to check for damage to the wiring to the back of the stereo, put insulating tape on any exposed wires, and re-fit the stereo taking care to ensure that none of the wiring is trapped. You'll need to do the same if it works for a while and then packs up again.

If I get the chance, I'll check the fuse diagram for our 04 Clio tonight and try to either upload a scan, or post a note to the effect that it's the same as the one we already have. In the meantime, there should be a 'map' on the fuse box cover, which should identify each fuse with a symbol. I can't see Renault having changed the diagrams, so you're looking for a picture of a small upside-down lightbulb with a left or right arrow below it.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome