Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - MK2 Clio Central Locking

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 18th March 2008
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Central Locking - Clio 2

Just wondered if you had sorted the problem? Mine is exactly the same, and have done the same as you. I have 2 things to add though. When you do the re-sync process, watch the immobiliser light on the dash. When you press the central locking button for 5 secs, and the doors lock and unlock, the immobiliser light will come on permanantly. Then press the plip twice, and as you press it the second time, does the immobiliser light immediately go into flash mode? If so, then I believe that the system has recognised the plip, and re-synced it. Mine does just that, but the plip still does not unlock the dorrs, just like yours.
I have some electronic knowledge, and also took advice from a very accomplished electronics engineer.
The central locking/unlocking switch inside the car has 2 leads going into the multi-timer unit - one for lock, one for unlock. This operates the lock or unlock relay respectively, all very simple. The signal from the overhead infrared receiver is a little more complex. There is one wire to the multi timer unit, so the timer unit has some sort of flip flop circuit in it, so that one press is lock, the next unlock, then lock and unlock etc. What appears to be happening is that the flip flop has failed, and is not operating the relays in turn. I have made really careful checks, and with the advice from my expert, we cannot see a solution. You are really, really stuffed, as the multi-timer controls the immobiliser as well, so if you want to change it to cure the central locking problem, you are going to have to sort out the immobiliser as well, as this will fail unless you either get it recoded to suit your immobiliser chips (do not know if this is possible), or get new immobiliser key chips to suit the new multi-timer unit. It is important to realise that the central locking and the immobiliser are completely seperate. The central locking works by the press button unit in the key conversing with the overhead infrared receiver, and then on to the multi-timer. The immobiliser works by the tiny little coded chip in the key (it is about one eighth on an inch square, and about half an inch long) conversing with the sensing ring round the ignition switch, and then on to the multi-timer unit.
So, changing the multi-timer is not easy!
Sorry this is not a solution, but might help the knowledge a little bit.
Currently in clio2owner's garage:
1995 Clio !, VW Taro, BMW 840, Rover 213
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome