Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - servicing costs

Thread: servicing costs
View Single Post
post #20 of (permalink) Old 19th March 2008
Plenty of excellent advice in this thread. Just a bit more info on the rules regarding servicing and warranties since 2003:
Originally Posted by From the AA website
Do I have to get my car serviced by a main dealer?

The European regulations governing the sale and after-sales servicing of new cars changed in October 2003. For new cars purchased after that date you are no longer obliged during the warranty period to get the car serviced by a franchise dealer.

You must however continue to get the car serviced according to the manufacturer's recommended schedule and criteria using only manufacturer approved parts.

The legislation only applies to the part of the warranty offered by the manufacturer, i.e. insurance-backed extended warranties offered by dealers are not covered.

If you do have the car serviced outside the dealer network it is essential that it's done to the maker's recommended schedule and criteria using approved parts. You must also keep records to enable you to demonstrate to the manufacturer that servicing was undertaken to their requirements.

Warranty work should still be undertaken by the franchised dealer as it is easier for them to deal directly with the manufacturer.

There's more information in the consumer advice section of the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) website,
I had a chat with my local garage about this (not that it applies to my car at present) and his advice is to make sure that if your garage needs some parts, they should buy them from Renault. They might be slightly more expensive than the equivelant "pattern" part, but there is no room for quibbling on warranty issues
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome