Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Hard shoulder to be used as an extra lane?

View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 19th March 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Send a message via MSN to Mike11 Send a message via Skype™ to Mike11
I drive along to M42 twice a week and to be totally honest it has improved loads since this trial has been started years back. They have lay-by's every couple of hundred yards or so and it is fully monitored 24/7 with camera's all over the place looking for incidents. As soon as something is seen they send the Highway Patrol group to it to seal off the lane and stick a big red cross on the signs overhead.

I agree about it is an easy way out but it actually works. When there has been an accident it jams like any other motorway in the country.

The speed limits are monitored when active by camera's, what most people don't know is that they arn't active when the signs are off so you can go through at your leisure (not recommending speeding by the way) As it is only active when there is high volumes of traffic then it isn't as bad as people think.

Like I said, before this was introduced it was gridlocked all the time during rush hour along that stretch but now it flows nicely at 50MPH with only a few little bits where it is slower.
Currently in Mike11's garage:
An LPG powered Ford Focus ST170.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome