Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Please help 2001 Megane boot falling off!

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Ron Burgundy
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Please help 2001 Megane boot falling off!

Hi fellow Renault owners.

I would really appreciate someone with more knowledge than me helping advise me about my problem.

I own a 2001 Renault Megane. Really solid, reliable car. I've had it for two years and want to keep it going - I recently had it fully serviced.

I have problem though, since I owned it the boot made a fully creaking/rubbing sound, it got progressively louder the past few months. I couldn't work out what it was when I checked it - until yesterday. When I took my shopping out and went to close the boot and there was a snap/pinging sound, the boot almost completely came off and sagged to one side. Where the boot (tailgate?) joins to the top rear of the body of the car, one of the pins that was inside the metal hinges is completely sheared off. The two nuts that hold it in place are still on the hinge attached to the car with some of the metal pin inside them. I can see its gone really rusted and over time has siezed and this has happened. On the other side the pivot hinge pin is still in on one side, but coming out a bit on the other. The black high pressure struts which hold the boot up when it is open are still in tact. 3 of us pushed the boot back into place, shut it and locked it, it is not quite flush on one side however.

I drove my car yesterday and the boot is staying locked and in place, however, I want to fix the boot so it is useable and will pass an mot in December.

I need advice on how to fix it. I cannot find that this is a common problem, I also cannot find any spare parts listed in breakers yards or on ebay .

I would really appreciate advise/ideas. My dad and I think we might end up having to drill out the old pins and make/put in new ones.
  5 Lastest Threads by Ron Burgundy
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Please help 2001 Megane boot falling off! Bodywork batfink5 9 135 16th October 2016 09:57 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome