Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Speedo needle sticking again...

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 20th March 2008 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Speedo needle sticking again...

Hi guys

Got the car, and the first night the speedo started sticking meaning I had no way of knowing what speed we were doing.

I took the damn thing to bits, managed to free the needle (or so I thought) and put it back together. Loosely left the dials unit sitting in the dashboard for almost 3 weeks and then fitted it back in securely with screws and put the plastic work back together a few days ago. I was confident the problem was resolved.

Anyway, tonight after picking up Mrs Delta from work, I noticed it seemed a little slow to adjust... which raised an eyebrow of suspicion.

Monitored it for a few minutes and guess what? - It has started sticking again. My pesky speedo has come back to haunt me now I've reassembled the entire dashboard!

Can anyone give me any ideas as to what could be causing this?

The only 2 things I've noticed so far is that it is 1) heat related and 2) speed related. That is, it only starts sticking once it is warm and a speed of about 60 is sustained for over 30 seconds - eg motorway, A roads etc.

It is a digitally controlled speedo unit not cable driven.

I'm a little reluctant to take the needle of the servo spindle as I don't want to put it back and get it in the wrong position and thus get a wrong speed reading.

Renault want 650+VAT for a new dial set and they THINK they can transfer my current mileage to it - thats the problem with a scrapyard set - the mileage is completely different! Obviously I can't afford 650 yet a 100% reliable speedo is a must!

I have a previous unit which I purchased from the scrappy - I got the motor/dial units, but as mentioned above I'd have to physically remove the needles from the current one and I don't know if I would get a accurate speed reading after.

Any ideas?

The car is a safrane, but please don't let that put you off suggesting ideas!
Currently in delta1066's garage:
  5 Lastest Threads by delta1066
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Tigz .. You running for president? Jokes & funny stuff delta1066 10 2505 3rd September 2008 01:07 PM
Rear wiper - Is this normal? Electronics kp 115 33 4127 29th August 2008 08:37 AM
Gas discharge bulbs or not? Electronics dave_mezza2006 2 2563 25th August 2008 11:13 PM
Renault Safrane - Sourcing Genuine Alloys Wheels & tyres dave_mezza2006 32 3838 24th August 2008 10:47 PM
Rear wheel steering...Some Q's Steering and Suspension madnoel10 11 2692 22nd August 2008 11:56 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome