Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Windscreen washers Not Working

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 21st March 2008
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
There are two different pumps operating the washers - one for front, one for rear windows. It would be unlikely that both pumps failed at the same time, although it's possible I suppose. I'd say you're looking at a fault in the wiring/switches/fuses somewhere.

If you can't find the relevant fuse then go through them all with a multimeter, hopefully you'll find one blown. Sometimes you can check fuses without removing them (it's quicker). Earth the neg lead of your multimeter and touch the pos lead off both ends of each fuse, if you don't get the same 12volt at each end then it's faulty. Remember you'll need the ignition on for some fuses. Another possibility is a faulty stalk switch.

The washer bottle, if you do need to get to it, is behind and under the drivers headlight. According to Haynes you need to remove the bumper to get at it, but I'd have a good go from underneath (or from above by removing the plastic surrounds) before I resorted to that. There's a chance you could at least unplug one of the wiring plugs and move it somewhere more accessible to test.
Currently in mister_cee333's garage:
Toyota Avensis 1.8. Formerly Jaguar X Type Sport d 2005. Formerly 2001 Laguna 2 1.9 dCi
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome