Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Rusting Petrol Cap area

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 21st March 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Send a message via MSN to stef123
Originally Posted by BeanoClio View Post
Hi there!

Any advice given greatly accepted!

My 1999 Clio has the fairly common problem of rust developing around the petrol filler cap area (though only present around the plastic housing behind outer petrol flap- if you know what I mean???)

I've only had the car 2 years, but although I did clean it up shortly after buying it, the rust has lifted the touchup paint I originally used and it's now beginning to look ugly again.

I had a word with a chap I know at a body shop and he has advised me to try the following rather than shelling out for a professional, costly repair:

Obtain 4 new pop rivets for the plastic filler cap housing from Renault (and make sure you have a head large enough on your rivet gun to put the new ones in!!!)

Drill out the old ones, remove the 2 torx screws and if possible, remove outer flap & hinge (I believe they are held by 2 bolts that have to be undone from inside the wing -perhaps behind lining in boot???)

Remove loose rust & paint & treat with rust stopper (does anyone have recommendations on a make of rust stopper???)

Mask off area & spray with primer (or primer filler) and once dry, sand area until smooth.

Spray with colour and allow to dry (I think the original paintwork in the area wasn't laquered - so I shouldn't need to do this.)

Reassemble the components - hopefully job done!?

Will have to wait until the warmer months and spend a few days on it. I know if I do it, it will not be as good as a proper bodyshop - but it can't look worse than it already does! I have seen worse on similar aged cars - but I've also seen much better on older cars!

Anyone else out there with Mk2 (1998 onwards) clios with a similar rust problem? Have they done a good repair job?

If so how did you go about it?

Hope some of you fellow Clio owners can advise me!?

I have a 1999 mk2 clio with the same rust problem. I've had a look a few times but have never done anything about it since its not visible with the flap shut. I personally would probably use a 'rust stop' treatment first, more than likely the hammerite one. then just mask and spray the area.
Currently in stef123's garage:
2006 Ford Mondeo ST TDCI
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome