I hope this is in the right section. Just wanted to share knowledge and experience.
We've had the car a couple of months and I think it was last serviced over a year ago so thought it best to make sure it was done.
Spent nearly £80 on
, pollen filter,
filter, air filter and spark plugs.
Despite having an extensive range of tools I had to buy a £9.99 set of plug tools and also got a new sump plug seal from the dealer.
First job was to drain the
. Easy and it almost fills the 5 litre drain tub.
While that was draining I changed the pollen filter. It's down low behind the centre console. The bottom tab need squeezing upwards as this clamps on the outside of the airbox housing. It then pulls out and curls upwards.
It looked like this when I removed it...it was filthy and full of seeds.
The new one is bright white.
Then after removing the vent panel to give access to everything under the bonnet...
I changed the air filter.
was then removed and I changed the spark plugs. The
are held in place by a 10mm bolt. I dropped one bolt and it fell onto the gearbox. This is where it becomes evident that the Modus is not very DIY service friendly. I had to go under the car and feel for the bolt but it could not be found. I started to take out the battery and the battery box. I'm sure this is stopped from coming out by the headlight. Everything under the bonnet was so tightly fitted. It was a huge jigsaw and I gave up in the end. I had to go through all my spares and find another bolt.
I wasn't feeling confident about getting the
filter out. I knew access was tight but not this tight. I bought a tool which was actually a mm too big so that was a waste of £5.
In the end as access from below was impossible I tackled it from above.
I removed the plastic inlet trunking (between the radiator and inlet manifold) and by using my right hand and leaning over the front wing I slowly managed to get the
If this method is to be used disconnect the sensor plug on the inlet otherwise it can be knocked and maybe damaged. I think it might be a temp sensor.
It was very tight but I was glad no tools were required. As the car had been sat for an hour and up on ramps the
had drained from the filter so hardly any
I then put the new Purflux filter on and screwed it up tight.
Then put the new
in which although I asked for a 5W30 shop4parts supplied some 10W40 which should be ok, I hope! It will only be in there for 5k miles though as it gets changed every 12 months.