Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - stuck tailgate on espace expression

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 22nd March 2008
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
I've got the same problem. It started out as an intermittent fault and I took the rear trim off before the tailgate jammed completely. From the catch at each bottom corner of the tailgate, I can see (and pull on) at each side a grey metal rod which goes to a central mechanism where a solenoid motor operated by the key plip is supposed to connect/disconnect the exterior handle from these grey rods that actually open the two catches.

That solenoid motor is not doing its job, but the immediate problem is worse than that. For a long time I could pull both grey rods towards the middle of the tailgate to release the catches, even if the solenoid did nothing. Now I can't even do that. The driver's side catch is staying locked even if I pull on the grey rod which is supposed to open it. The rod moves fine. There is no sign that anything has broken or fallen off but I still cannot get the driver's side catch to undo.

So, does anyone know what is supposed to be happening inside the tailgate catch?
Currently in black-black-white's garage:
2002 Espace III
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome