Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Rant about Quality - Broken Spring Now

View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 23rd March 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 2 Times in 3 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 3
Originally Posted by madnoel10 View Post
Right here I go - really giving my age way. In my first job in 1962 as an apprentice motor mechanic I worked for a BMC garage. The old Morris Minors needed to be serviced at least every 3,000 miles. New brakes every 15,000 and a top end decoke at 30K. You were fortunate if the engine lasted to 60K without a complete overhaul. Clutches would last around 24-30K. And that wasn't all - they rusted like stink - very fond of damaging reverse gear - the list goes on. Yet proportionally these cars were more expensive than a bog standard Clio would be today. Oh yes one other thing a heater was an extra when buying new.
Cars have become cheaper over the years and a dam sight more comforatable and reliable too. Yet we still moan.
Yeah look at the Ford Anglias, Engines kaput at 40K 3 bearing crank I believe. Triumpth Stags engines all new cars at the time .

Some of the older cars were also very difficult to work on Mini/1100/1300/1800/ Princess

Cars took a week to warm up in the winter.

I like driving old cars from the past but not for my day to day motoring needs.

I drive an Triumpth Herald convertible on a regular basis which has been restored to pristine condition, better than it was new in a lot of ways ( Summer only ) amongst other older cars, and jeez on todays roads and conditions it can be quite scary.

I am still looking for a project car from the 50's 60's as a hobby car to potter about with and summer evening drives

It has a certain charm, Very simple to work on yes, and it does attrack a lot os attention and comments when out and about.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome