Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Rant about Quality - Broken Spring Now

View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 23rd March 2008 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by Reece_P View Post
you gonna change the shocker top to while you at it?
I wasn't planning to but will double check and change if deemed necessary.

Originally Posted by stevet14 View Post
You have tried this ? Switching your car off and on whilst driving, I'm stunned
Yes years ago I had a car with a fault which cleared when you switched the engine off. It was handy to be able to do it on the move, as long as you were prepared for the lack of PAS, and the brakes after a few presses, but you obviously did it at appropriate bits of road.

Originally Posted by delta1066 View Post
lags do seem to be rather breakdown prone. Renault didn't put a lot of thought into many of their cars I'm afraid.
I'm afraid renault aren't the best cars for reliability..
I couldn't agree more.

Originally Posted by ottoman View Post
Coil spring breakage is a very commomn problem these days in any make of car. Not sure is it because they are made differenly today or the atrocious state of our roads we also do considerably higher miles than we did in the past.

I personally would not drive a car with a brocken coil spring
I've not came across a broken spring in ten years on any of our family's cars/vans/lorries. The roads here aren't much worse than after any other winter, and the car is low mileage. I'm still saying it's renault quality. From a safety point I'll not be using the car until it's fixed - the tyre would rub anyway.

Originally Posted by hondo View Post
I had the front off side suspension break off which took the front wheel with it, that was a Vauxhall, also I've had 3 separate complete hydraulic brake failures with the same car leaving me with real white knuckles. Very few makes of car are trouble free.
True but this is either a very unlucky car for me, or they're crap made. I think the latter.

Originally Posted by madnoel10 View Post
cars were much simpler 25 years ago
Yes but I'm approximately comparing like for like with my vectra to laguna example.

Originally Posted by ottoman View Post
I have just covered over 24,000 miles in my Scenic II which was one year old yesterday.

I know which car I want to cover 25K in each year and it's not a 25 year old car
Wait til it's just out of warranty and see if you still like it lol

Originally Posted by madnoel10 View Post
The old Morris Minors needed to be serviced at least every 3,000 miles. New brakes every 15,000 and a top end decoke at 30K. You were fortunate if the engine lasted to 60K without a complete overhaul. Clutches would last around 24-30K. And that wasn't all - they rusted like stink - very fond of damaging reverse gear - the list goes on. Yet proportionally these cars were more expensive than a bog standard Clio would be today. Oh yes one other thing a heater was an extra when buying new.
Cars have become cheaper over the years and a dam sight more comforatable and reliable too. Yet we still moan.
Yes but thats comparing an old car with the lag, I'm comparing similar age to similar age.

Sorry if i missed any points there. I know all cars have their faults but it seems the lag is particularyly grim unless it's under warranty. I think I'll buy honda or something when the time comes. It'll cost me more but then again there's every chance it'll not spend as much time getting fixed.
Currently in mister_cee333's garage:
Toyota Avensis 1.8. Formerly Jaguar X Type Sport d 2005. Formerly 2001 Laguna 2 1.9 dCi

Last edited by mister_cee333; 23rd March 2008 at 06:34 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome