Independent Renault Forums banner

Renault - Official FAP Filter Guide Here

53K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  wheelbrace 
#1 ·
Here is the Official Renault Handover Guide for Diesel Engines with Exhaust Particle Filter.
(These instructions should be followed to ensure diesel engines fitted with an exhaust particle filter (FAP) operate under the best possible conditions.)

What is a FAP used for? To protect the environment: the FAP stops particles being emitted from theexahust system and is currently used only on diesel engines. By filtering the exhaust gas the particle filter stops over 95% of particle emissions.

How does it work? The FAP accumulates the particles of soot and eliminates it periodically by automatic regeneration.

What is regeneration? It is the elimination of soot by high temperatures in the FAP. To make this regeneration process easier, the engine should be used regularly at a sufficient level to ensure high enough temperature of the exhaust gas. During the regeneration phase, high temperatures in the FAP may cause a smell of burning. Especially during the first regeneration.

What does this mean for the customer? There is no particulat issues for the customer except for the specific driving conditions stated below. Regeneration is an automatic process that occurs during normal driving conditions.

Recommendations for driving

Just as fuel consumption may vary, the FAP contamination may vary with driving style. Drive progressively without harsh acceleration to reduce the rate of FAP contamination and to limit the number of regenerations. Driving in this manner also reduces fuel consumption

Warning Note

The temperatures during FAP regenerations is high. DO NOT PARK THE VEHICLE ON A SURFACE WHERE THERE ARE MATERIALS THAT ARE SENSITIVE TO HIGH TEMPERATURES.

Specific conditions for Megane II & Scenic II

Vehicle driven for long periods in urban areas:
  • AT Low Speed
    For approximately 180 miles
The message "FAP needs regeneration" or an orange light, or both (depending on the vehicle: refer to the drivers handbook) may appear on the instrument panel.

This message indicates that the FAP is almost fully saturated with soot. If these driving conditions continue, the FAP will be fully saturated after approx 50 miles.

In this case, the advice given is the same as that stated in the drivers handbook:
In order to enable the particle filter to be cleaned, we recommend that you drive the vehicle as soon as possible until the waring light goes out, at an average speed of 50mph (80km/h) providing that the following conditions allow it:
  • traffic conditions
    legal speed limits
Regeneration typically takes about twenty minutes from the moment it starts, if the driving conditions remain favourable. The warning light or the message will then disappear. Nevertheless, if these instructions are not observed, a second warning (service warning light + Injection warning light) may appear. It is recommended in this case that the vehicle be returned to a Renault dealer as soon as possible to carry out a forced regeneration.

Important note: Certain types of operator who drive only in urban conditions, taxi, police, local delivery operators, etc must be made fully aware of the operational requirements for the Megane II & scenic II fitted with this FAP engine prior to purchase.

See less See more
Reactions: chris m
#4 ·
From late 2005 on Euro IV 1.9DCI engines

G
#5 ·
Is that 1.9 DCI engines only ?

I think it's now a feature of the new Renault / Nissan developed 2.0 litre dCi 175 aswell..

Whereabouts is the FAP filter located ?

I presume it's the exhaust side but upstream of the turbo ?

Will this device have the benefits of cleaning emissions ( cheaper company car tax to you & me ) but also improving the life of the turbo unit ?

#6 ·
I could be wrong, but I'd imagine it's downstream of the turbo. It's going to kick out a lot of extra heat when regenerating, and you don't really want to be chucking that through the turbo.

It appears that the 2.0 175 will be FAP equipped, but all indications seem to show that the 150 manages to achieve Euro IV without the filter (I can find no mention anywhere of this engine being equipped with one.) The function of the FAP appears to be to catch the soot that's chucked out when an engine's being thrashed to within a whisker of its full potential, so I suppose the 'detuned' versions don't really need it.

Of the 1.9 engines, I think only the 130 has the filter. The lower powered 1.9dCi's (currently offered with 95bhp) managed Euro IV without the filter, so I can't see them fitting it to them now.

I was interested to note that there's only 0.5 seconds difference in the 0-60 time of the L2 with the 150 and 175 variants (8.9 and 8.4 seconds respectively.) I certainly wouldn't pay much extra for that kind of performance boost.

G
#7 ·
Been doing a bit of internet research and apparently this new addition to the ever complicating life of the motor car was originally introduce by Peugeot..

Any interesting thread regarding customer perceptions of the system after use..

http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic401319.htm

Is this additive ( which I beleive is called "Eolys" ) present in the Renaults ?

What is the life of the Renault FAP ?

Here's a picture of the Peugeot system..

Horatio is right it would appear to be downstream of the turbo..

#8 ·
I'm sure there was a post about this, but I can't find the right search terms to dig it up.

Apparently the Peugeot system burns a special fluid inside the FAP during regeneration, and this has to be topped up by the dealer. The Renault system uses plain old diesel from the fuel tank to do the same thing.

Edit: Found it! http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/engines/4927-fap-filters.html

50 Euros a litre for the special fluid? :eek: I'm never going to buy a Peugeot diesel now.

#9 ·
Woohoo! I have a definitive answer in the form of the Renault publication "A guide to FAP engines" that I picked up from the dealer this morning.

In a nutshell, the only engines with the FAP filter are the following units, with the following specific power outputs:
1.9dCi 130 (Megane/Scenic/Laguna)
2.0dCi 175 (Laguna GT/Espace)
2.2dCi 140 (Laguna Auto)

All other engines (including 1.9, 2.0 and 2.2 with different power outputs) are non-FAP engines.

According to the literature, all FAP models have a service interval of 9,000 miles.

Hopefully this clears things up.

#10 · (Edited)
There is an interesting article on FAP on the Renault web site at Renault

I guess this could explain the poorer MPG than expected, currently being discussed in the Espace Forum.

I did hear/read the the Peug 807 also burnt diesel to clean the filter. The discrepency between official MPG and actual MPG experienced by the customer was put down to the manufacturer submitting a vehicle with a fresh particulate filter i.e. after a regeneration cycle. How true it is, I don't know. It certainly adds up though!

I did find it strange that our 3.0dCi Auto has a comparable & in some instances better consumption than 2.2dCi manual models as experienced by owners depite the clear difference in "official figures" which don't seem to be achieved by owners.

The 3.0dCi doesn't have a FAP particulate filter...

JJ

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.