Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Scenic - Boot unlock problem and general dealership lack of faith!

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 25th March 2008 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Scenic - Boot unlock problem and general dealership lack of faith!

Hi all,

I am looking for a little help and advce. First, the history of the problem.

2004 Scenic 1.9dCi, battery went flat about start of December. Jump started it, charged it and all was ok. Eventually got the electric windows and everything all working again (didnt realise at that time that they all needed reintrodued again to the computer system). The only problem was that the boot would not unlock (and this isnt good with 2 kids and a big buggy!). Pressing the button to unlock it only made the indicator lights flash but there was no electronic bzzzz'ing sound as if the lock was opening and releasing the latch.

Anyway, knowing a dealership would charge the earth, I had an independent auto electrician look at it. Charged me 30 for the privilege to tell me no power was getting to the 'actuator' and that only the dealership would be able to fix it. Prior to this, I had full diagnostics done on the car (a different auto electrician!) as 2 glowplugs had gone and they suggested that for the boot, their software did not see any problem and they could not reset it/re-intoduce it into the system - this is apparently all that was needed after the battery had gone flat - advised me to go to the dealership.

Eventually booked it into the dealership for Friday last week. Turned up and they said it would be 66 to initially investigate anything but then let someone come take a look to avoid this cost. They checked it out and agreed that it is the solenoid/motor that was gone and would need replaced. I was happy as that would have been about 80 fully fitted. Let them get on with it then got the phone call...the new part did not fix the problem, they need to do a wiring check at 134 + vat!. After some toing and froing, I authorised this because I was under the impression that if it wasnt the motor/catch, then it was definitely the wiring that was loose or had a break and it would then be fixed. So Friday became Saturday, which became Monday then another phone call to say Wiring Check proved fine. The problem is with the CHU (HCU?) which sends the signal to the boot lock. Needs replaced at 175 for the part plus 2 hours labour, a total of 330 + vat (remember the cost of the wiring check to be added to this!)

I am fuming as I find this unacceptable! What do you all think of the seemingly endless costs to investigative work and more importantly, has anyone any experience of a similar problem with the boot not unlocking and how did you fix it?

I would expect there to be some sort of knowledgebase for problems with cars that the dealerships would use so that there should not be investigation each time, there would be a solution already identified and all that would be required is to fix it according to the predefined solution. Am I looking for too idealistic a world?

Also, what gauls me is the info about the wiring check. It takes 2 hours and can be a lot of work (removing the glovebox to access connectors, etc). They started at the boot lock then worked back to identify that there was no signal being sent from the CHU (HCU? Terminology?) connector block. I would have thought that if they intended in going all the way to remove the glovebox for a wiring check, then they should have started at the connector block for the CHU and they would have immediately identified if it was the wiring in one direction from the block, or the CHU in the other direction. This would have saved time and costs. Also the CHU apparently controls many electrical items in the car...if this is the fault, I would expect problems with other things. Can a fault in this board be isolated to one particular feature like this? I really have no faith in dealerships!

My next step before I authorise any further work was to contact Renault to see what they say about this problem and way of investigation from the dealership. What do you think my chances are with this approach? Anyone have any stories to tell of contacting Renault UK direct?

Apologies for the rant but I am trying to give as much detail/history as I can. Hope someone can help or at least has an opinion on dealerships/charges/investigation work!
Currently in spagy's garage:
2004 Renault Scenic 1.9dCi
  5 Lastest Threads by spagy
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
04 Scenic 1.9DCi - how do you replace the battery? Electronics tolsen 1 2946 17th September 2009 08:57 PM
Scenic - Boot unlock problem and general... Electronics Gogslad 14 2767 25th March 2008 12:40 AM
Another one to the collection... Welcome to RenaultForums ottoman 3 700 24th March 2008 11:43 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome