Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Connecting Ipod To Head Unit

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 25th March 2008
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
You could try buying an FM transmitter from somewhere like Argos, HMV or even eBay - however, please be aware that this technology is still fairly new and although the quality has improved, is still far from perfect.

The idea is that you can plug the transmitter into the 12V cigarette lighter in the car and you plug the ipod into the fm transmitter and select a frequency on the transmitter that is not being used for a radio station (or emergency services!)

You can then tune your car tuner into the same frequency and the sound from the ipod is then transmitted to your tuner via radio frequency to the car's aerial and played as if it were a radio station.

I believe there are also ipod specific ones available???

If you decide to go the more expensive route (but also much better quality) you could buy a new tuner with an ipod socket on the front to plug directly into the tuner with superior cd-like sound quality. However I do warn you that if you are dependant on your current steering wheel remote control, you may lose this when installing a new tuner.

Clio's are notorious for not being able to have the steering wheel control once an aftermarket tuner is installed - even with the correct adaptors and leads - it is a hit & miss affair! It took 3 attempts to get mine to work after installing an Alpine Unit my old clio!

With regards to mods - depends on what the car looks like at the moment and how far you want to go! There are tonnes of mods you could have, including Angle eye headlights, alloys, spoilers, side skirts, led rear lights, lexus rear lights - the list goes on! However remember that these mods can be very expensive to purchase & also more costs are involved if you need them colour matched/ painted.

You must also remember that you should disclose any alteration whether mechanical or cosmetic to your insurer - it may increase your premium significantly - especially where alloy wheels are concerned & perfomance mods - some insurers won't even insure you and a modded car if you are under a certain age! If, like some, you do not disclose any mods - in the event of an accident and they see your car is not as described on the policy - they most probably will not pay you a penny! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

I am a member of a Clio - only orientated website - it has all makes & models of Clio that are catered for - some have spent loads on their cars, but some, like me, have bog standard clios - it is open to one & all! Registration is free, however there is a yearly nominal charge for use of all parts of the forum.

I won't put the website address on this thread (can't be accused of spamming this way), but contact me via a personal message & I'll give you the web address ok?

Hope this helps?
Currently in BeanoClio's garage:
1999 Renault Clio Mk2 Ph1 1.4 8V RT

Last edited by BeanoClio; 26th March 2008 at 03:44 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome