Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - PC installation into a Scenic ?

View Single Post
post #21 of (permalink) Old 27th March 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
The biggest worry with any of these systems is the hard drive. Bumps and knocks while driving with the thing spun-up aren't going to give you a great long-term service life.
Use an old dead CD changer. You'll find inside that there is a metal cage which all the parts are mounted in. The cage, is mounted on springs and softened by rubber gromit type things so that it can move about and absorb impact without disturbing the CD player itself. You'd probably have to mount the entire CD changer case inside the computer case OR you could remove the cage and simply mount that to the PC case.

If you can't find one, my dead 6 disc alpine might be available shortly provided I get my hands on a replacement (negotiations are ongoing at the moment as the ebay seller is a bit on the slow side). Once I got that sorted, you can have this one for the cost of postage if its any use. It has 2 springs - one on each side of the cage, and 4 rubber gromits - 2 each side (I took it apart to try and fault find - it's very soft!).

That should dramatically lengthen your HDD life and keep your costs down.
Currently in delta1066's garage:
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome