Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - PC installation into a Scenic ?

View Single Post
post #27 of (permalink) Old 27th March 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by madnoel10 View Post
There is a big difference between a hard drive and a cd reader - if a cd player gets shaken it will skip and lose track and many have memory to compensate. It is also read by light which is a much greater distance from the disc that the reading heads in hard drive. There must be a way round this problem as many militiry vehicles use hard drive computers, etc.

Maybe they are set in gymbals like the old compasses on board ships
So how do you think modern car CD players work then? - I've not known many to skip these last few years.

What you are forgetting is that although the heads are much closer in the HDD, the ENTIRE HDD will move - taking the heads and platters with it in the same direction as the HDD outer casing. Any chain reaction will be on a much smaller scale.

Yes there is a way around this problem - I've already described it. You cushion the effects of the knock. You ever wondered why those bug american hummer 4x4s have such big wheels, tyres, suspension struts etc?

For some reason you seem determined to shoot down my idea even though its far better than just using padding (which conducts heat - deadly to all HDDs).

Don't forget, this idea came from a CD changer which was installed in a £30k car. I doubt city execs would pay for a CD changer that keeps skipping. It isn't run of the mill halfords stuff.
Currently in delta1066's garage:

Last edited by delta1066; 27th March 2008 at 07:30 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome