Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - General Towbar fitting advise

View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 27th March 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by jpfrost View Post
Ok, just got my tow bar fitted. Went for a local fitter in Bletchley and very happy with the Westfalia detachable tow bar.

However, when I attached my trailer the indicators now give a beep whenever they are used. I've found out (by removing a bulb) that the beep doesn't occur when the bulb is not working. Now to me that sounds like the wrong way round? Surely, the beep should happen when the bulb is blown?? Or is this some sort of safety feature - to remind you you have a trailer attached?

Thanks in advance.

You have to have a "warning" that the indicators on the trailer are working. In your case thats an audible beep. Some vehicles have an extra "indicators" warning lamp on the dash that lights up when you indicate when towing just like regular indicator lamp. This tends only to work though on dealer fitted OEM towbars. It's a legal requirement - you might hear some trailers have an audible beep on the trailer itself (often council vehicles) that people outside of the towing vehicle can hear!

Yes it can be a bit irksome but you'll get used to it.

The Vauxhall Cavalier - one of the safest cars you'll bump into
Currently in Bob925's garage:
2015 '65 Vauxhall Astra SRi, and a variety of "lovely" buses

Last edited by Bob925; 27th March 2008 at 10:33 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome