Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - New VED ratings in budget

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 25th March 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
In a nutshell, if you're driving a small engined diesel supermini then you could well be in band B and save a few bob. Were' talking about things like 1.4 and 1.5 diesels in cars such as the Clio and the 206. When it comes to petrol engined cars, it looks like only the Smart manages to make it into band B, and then by a whisker. Other than pure electric vehicles, only the Honda Insight makes it into band A, with even the hybrid Toyota Prius only managing to wing it into band B.

It's still as clear as mud to me, but I think most owners of petrol engined cars are a fiver better off, while most diesel owners will be a fiver worse off. It's a nice bit of 'slight of hand' if you ask me: Creaming loads of extra money off the 'Bitsubatsu Hogger' drivers, while only pretending to give some back to people with more environmentally friendly vehicles.

Or maybe I'm just being cynical. I suppose this might just give some manufacturers the incentive they need to improve their emissions figures that bit more.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome