Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Megane 1 - Timing Belt Snapped*Fixed*

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 4th April 2008 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Renault Megane 1 - Timing Belt Snapped*Fixed*

Hi guys.

Posted a few posts a few months back regarding engine just dieing while driving my Megane to work, car is still off the road due to other unforeseen issues.

Well my friend and I are going to try and and fix this ourselves (saves on labour) and hes a half decent mechanic.

We think the timing belt snapped so this could be a big job.
Ive bought a Haynes manual and the Head Gasket set and also The replacement bolts and Timing Belt. (Either way timing belt needs replacing even if it isnt snapped)

Ive read a bit on this forum and other places regarding the complexity of the job involved, and timing issues. Now because the car was running when the belt snapped the likely hood of the valves being bent is a distinct possibility so I know i may have to buy a second hand head rather than the hassle of replacing and grinding valves.

Just a couple of things I feel a bit begrudged spending 60 on a timing kit im probably only gonna use once

Is there anywere i could get second hand kit or is there something i could use as a replacement (I read on here you can use a 8mm drill bit to lock the bottom end timing ON A LAGUNA) is that possible on my engine

Any other things i should look out for when taking on this job ???????

Is it going to be easy to reset the timing if its all to pot because belt snapped

Car is a 1.6 16 valve K4M engine 2000 model megane mk1

Thank you in advance for any correspondence
Currently in shotton's garage:
sport alize 1.6

Last edited by shotton; 4th April 2008 at 11:24 AM.
  5 Lastest Threads by shotton
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Naff wheel bolts Wheels & tyres shotton 8 1427 21st January 2009 07:47 PM
Megane - Central Locking Question Electronics ottoman 2 964 19th May 2008 04:57 PM
Renault Megane 1 - Timing Belt Snapped*Fixed* Megane meganemk1 14 22367 4th April 2008 09:49 AM
Renault Megane 1 - Engine Cut Out Engines shotton 21 2977 4th February 2008 02:19 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome