Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Scenic I: mid-HG replacement photos

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 6th April 2008 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Scenic I: mid-HG replacement photos

1998 1.6e 8v KVM/702

Pottering up the Old Kent Road yesterday three things simultaneously happened:
a. idle dropped to 5-600rpm - not far off stall speed
b. became aware of a put-putting from the rear exhaust
c. rocking/vibration at idle coming through wheel, gearbox, CAR in general

Pottered about a bit more, picked kids up from school, was nearly home when I noticed the water temperature warning light was on. Got home to find the first signs of mayo, and a very dry expansion tank. So the strip-down began...

The upper thing with the brown sleeve is the water temp sensor - could be a bit too furry to be accurate! - but have no idea what the lower thing with the yellow sleeve is. For info, the old thermo operated when boiled by I had no way of testing the actual temperature.

The recess on the block is much cleaner, pretty much the same as the thermo housing - the stuff can be brushed off very easily. Doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the old pump, though...

#4 is on the left; the exhaust valves appear to run the whole gamut of possible conditions, reminds me of the Haynes sparkplug illustration. This pic shows a few blocked water channels, but not as many as were closed at gasket/block level.

#4 on left; all blocked water channels have been poked through. The scratches on #1 and #4 were from removing the head (guess we should have set the crank to an intermediate position first). As you can see, the water's done wonders for #1. Sleeves appear absolutely fine, though. No scoring at all.

That's the weak bit between #1 fire ring and a water channel. As you can see, the water channels were a little tired :-)

There's no obvious route between oil and water (assuming that any water entering the chamber is instantly steamed). Gasket is brittle and has cracked in a couple of places since removal, so I'm not sure it has any more to tell us.

I don't believe I've had to add coolant to the car in my three years of ownership (prior to a fortnight ago, obviously). At every service the anti-freeze levels have been reported as good. My suspicion is that all this is down to the coolant being drained and replaced with cheapo stuff without anti-corrosion properties at some point before I bought it.

Have lots of 'what the hell do I do now' questions which I'll post later - the supermarket calls - but feel free to pre-empt those questions while I'm gone :-)
Currently in mojolicious's garage:
2001 Ford Focus 1.9TD(d)i Estate in the incredibly luxurious 'LX' trim :)
  5 Lastest Threads by mojolicious
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
F*rd forum General Chat martyboi 13 2322 12th January 2009 05:30 PM
How do I scrap a car?! Cars & motoring VelSatisfied 1 1254 19th November 2008 11:27 AM
Mk1 Scenic revvy issues Engines mojolicious 13 2440 12th November 2008 05:54 PM
Can the expansion tank cap fail? Engines Bob925 16 6994 20th June 2008 04:02 PM
Advice on kid's bike Cycling Club 21 3855 17th June 2008 05:52 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome