Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - What does RN RT etc Mean

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 6th April 2008
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
Nominated 0 Times in 2 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
Yep, they're the trim levels that they used for a time. Nowadays the trim levels have names, such as 'Authentique', 'Dynamique' and 'Privilege.' Rumour has it that the letters come from the word 'Renault', the first letter ('R') is always the first letter of the word, while the second letter is a consonant picked from later in the word (thank you Carol Vorderman.)

That leaves you with RN RL and RT. When they wanted to go one higher than RT, they came up with RXE, even though it doesn't fit the pattern.

It may be an urban myth, or it may be true. Take it as you find it

Yup, and just to make it more confusing in mainland europe they didnt use RXE, they used RT-X ... until it was adopted as an additional model in the UK between RT and RXE.

Not all designations were available on all models ... ie the Espace2 and early Espace3's were RN, RT, RXE, while the Clio1 was RL, RN, RT ... they only used "names" to signify special editions ... ie Espace2 Family/ Helios was a RN with 5 seats and some bits from the RT, while a Champs Elysees/ Alize was a RT with 6 or 7 seats and the trim spec of the RXE but ABS was extra ... the Helios and the Alize became models in there own right some time later.

Life is too short for this ...

Why is it the older I get .... the better I think I was ?
Currently in Truckbusuk's garage:
Clio2 1.4RT Phase1(VF1BB0S) + Volvo XC90 SE Lux D5 Geartronic
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome