Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Scenic - Pre Purchase advice

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 9th April 2008
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by Pesumo View Post
Hi all,

I am just about to buy a Scenic, probably 1998-2000. These seem to fit in my budget. The price seems to range between 1500-2000. Would this be an accurate reflection of current used value?

I would be very grateful if you could let me know if there are any generic problems with the Scenic that I should watch out for.

Thanks in advance....

I got a 98R reg scenic with 97.5K on the clock for 770
1.6E RT (petrol are a lot cheaper than the diesels and I was on a tight budget)
12 month MOT
12 day left on the road tax

You can get a good example of a diesel Scenic 1 phase 1 for 1500-2000.
A few diesel Scenic 1 Phase 2 for that price range but your choices are limited, I'd check these out well though cos it's towards the bottom of their price range.

If you go petrol you'll probably find some better low mileage examples for that price range.

Don't know if they are generic (well the support bar is) but these are the problems so far (this car had 'passed' it's MOT 5 days before I bought it)
  1. Only get 30 seconds to get the ignition turned on after unlocking doors or the immobiliser kicks in
  2. Window washers that it had failed it's MOT on, then passed still don't work (got a replacement pump just need to take the wheel & arch liner off again to fit it...)
  3. Support bar had rusted through (it's just in front of the back wheels)

Replacement was 17 from my local dealership - Spot the difference
  4. Rusted rear arches (took the angle grinder to them then rust converter, then resprayed)
  5. CV joint clicking when turning with power on (get them looked at next month)
  6. Fan belt squeals like a stuck pig for first couple of minutes (booked in cos it looks like a pig to change)
  7. Wet carpets in the floor storage compartments in rear (dried hasn't returned)
  8. Back 6 inch of sills are held together by the paint (got a mate who can weld will sort soon)
  9. Power steering made a pumping/motor running noise on full lock (topped up fluid)
Currently in amigadude's garage:

Last edited by amigadude; 9th April 2008 at 09:35 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome