Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Grand Scenic questions

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 10th April 2008
Kevin Shields
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
If it was only wired for a 12N where have you taken the power feed from for the 12S?

A caravan fridge / battery charger puts a heavy draw on the current and is linked via a split relay - sometimes the installer may run a heavy gauge cable direct to the battery from the relay and to the 12S to avoid frying the car wiring loom. There is i understand a plug in point for the towbar into the vehicle wiring loom but where this will be a dealer secret. I've tried to follow the wires back on mine but could'nt.

Goodluck with the caravan nose weight- with an empty van it should be at teh lower end of the weight range. If its not it might help if you travel with your gas bottles or spare wheel which sometimes live in the caravan nose locker relocated to over the caravan axle while you are travelling but make sure that are securely fastned while in transit

Any clues about the history behind your Grand? if its wired only a 12n it sounds more like its towed something else like a boat trailer or horse box. Did the tow ball itself show signs of wear? Sometimes cars come with them factory fitted but unused. If you can reach the previous owner they might be able to say. My Grand sits a little bit lower at the back when hitched which is to be expected, but not in normal use. You can get after-market spring assisters and stronger suspension (search the net) but as the springs are mounted at a 45 degree angle doughnut type spring assisters may be difficult to fit.
Currently in Kevin Shields's garage:
2005 Grand Scenic 1.9DCI & 2007 Megane 1.5 dci
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome