Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - I'm taking my CBT on Monday !

View Single Post
post #23 of (permalink) Old 10th April 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 2 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Send a message via MSN to Azurael
Originally Posted by wobbly spoon View Post
i get truly scared by anyone bypassing smaller bikes to jump onto something bigger ..five days training is nothing ...honestly mate there is absolutely no replacement for time spend riding and you should always start small ..i hate to say it to people who get excited about jumping onto a big machine, restricted or not, it takes years of riding to become highly skilled ...and highly skilled is what you need to be to survive. sorry to put a downer on it, but ive seen too much to sit back and say nowt.
Ha, I never said I thought it was a good idea. What give you the impressionI have any say in the matter?

I see it from her point of view. She's definitely not wanting to get a 125, since it's an awful lot of hassle to buy and then sell on again, especially with sorting out insurance. Therefore, she'd be doing the intensive training thing anyway. It doesn't make much sense to get a 400 or 500 she'll sell after a couple of years anyway, so she may as well go for the restricted 'big bike' option. I'm pretty sure it won't be any faster than a smaller bike, and unlike most people riding 'on a restrictor' I'm sure hers will remain restricted!

Anyway, a Thundercat weighs about the same as most 500s, and it probably won't keep up with them once it's restricted to 25kW. From what I've gathered, restrictors really kill top end power and have a lot less effect round the bottom end, and consequently anything tuned in an even vaguely sporty manner is going to become fairly slow when restricted anyway

I'm sure she'll be fine...

All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. - Voltaire
Currently in Azurael's garage:
TEB64 (Cosmic Grey) 2001 'Y' Laguna II 1.8 16v Privilege Tourer (KG0B F4P-770)/TED44 (Odyssey Blue) 2001 'Y' Laguna II 1.8 16v 'Expressionale' Hatch (BG0B F4P-770)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome